Board index : Music Talk : Rock/Pop

Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Obner January 2011 Review
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:29 pm 
Go Platinum

In 2010, I missed out on a ton of stuff because Ob is my main source for new releases. Outside of what is posted in the leaks thread or rolling top 10, we really don't talk about music that much anymore. Both those threads can be both cumbersome and sporadic.

I really don't have the time nor the desire to download everything posted on Magiska for myself. So I was thinking of starting a thread every month to see what Obner liked over the past month. Doesn't necessarily have to be a 2011 release but I'd like it to be a new discovery. I'll update tonight what I liked in January.

I tried to find somebody of that sort that I could like that nobody else did - because everybody would adopt his group, and his group would be _it_; someone weird like Captain Beefheart. It's no different now - people trying to outdo ! each other in extremes. There are people who like X, and there are people who say X are wimps; they like Black Flag.

Post subject: Re: Obner January 2011 Review
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:41 pm 
Natural Harvester

you don't have the time to read a few reviews and decide if something is worth downloading?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:46 pm 
Go Platinum

Dalen Wrote:
you don't have the time to read a few reviews and decide if something is worth downloading?

That's not completely it. First, I'm genuinely interested in what you're listening to. That's how I started reading CMJ/Obner to begin with. Second, I've come to know most people's taste here. Between the two, it's more reliable than reading what p'fork or anyone else has to say about it. Reading the year end list probably provided me more sources of music than I gathered in the entire year prior to the lists.

Weren't you the one complaining that Obner was too focused on the past with Contradiction's year posts? Here's your chance to talk about the now. But you're probably right, we should complain when anyone wants to actually talk about music.

I tried to find somebody of that sort that I could like that nobody else did - because everybody would adopt his group, and his group would be _it_; someone weird like Captain Beefheart. It's no different now - people trying to outdo ! each other in extremes. There are people who like X, and there are people who say X are wimps; they like Black Flag.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:51 pm 
Go Platinum

Jonny - Jonny
Phil Manley - Life Coach
Buck 65 - 20 Odd Years
Deep Sleep - Turn Me Off
Akron Family - S/T II
Lemuria - Pebble

Still haven't heard the new Decemberists, but want to.

From 2010 still digesting The Extra Lens, Stacie Collins, and the Jonsi live album.

My Scooby Doo/Henry Rollins mash up: http://retintheran.blogspot.com

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:51 pm 
Go Platinum

Also, I download a ton of stuff that just sits on my hard-drive. Some positive discussion here will motivate me to listen to some stuff and feel justified to ignore some stuff.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:00 pm 
frostingspoon

Potentially a good idea for a thread, although I'm sure it'll meet with the usual lack of enthusiasm (see Dalen's post above).

Stuff I've really liked this past month that I haven't seen discussed yet:

David Lowery The Palace Guards
Not quite sure why this couldn't have been the new Cracker album, as it doesn't sound much different. A little mellower, I guess, but Cracker's been pretty free to move in that direction since their "Low" heyday. The songs are good, some subtle hooks at work, and I haven't grown tired of it while it's been in the rotation.

Skybombers Black Carousel
Aussie band with a penchant for rootsy Britpop and a solid knack for melodic hooks. A pleasant surprise.

The Diamond Dogs The Grit And The Very Soul
They're still doing their Faces worship, but this time with a mostly acoustic approach that's surprisingly satisfying. I can see this one being a grower.

Diane Birch The Velveteen Age
Birch takes a bunch of mopey 80s classics and melds them into her own piano-based soul sound. Songs by This Mortal Coil, The Cure, Joy Division, Echo and the Bunnymen, Sisters of Mercy, Siouxsie and the Banshees, and Peter Murphy.

I'm also oddly looking forward to the Beady Eye album after hearing the song "The Roller". Who'da thunk that you could take Noel Gallagher out of Oasis and be left with something better?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:08 pm 
Go Platinum

Kingfish Wrote:
Some positive discussion here will motivate me to listen to some stuff and feel justified to ignore some stuff.

That's a good point there. I think back in the old days before ysi, mediafire, rapidshare, etc, we used to talk about what we bought and liked because it was generally understood that people wanted to hear about an album before spending their own money on it.

It often seems to me now (right or wrong) that people much more willing to download and listen to whatever has any sort of recommendation as long as it's free than I am. I don't have the time to listen to all the stuff that I've bought anymore so I need a little bit of a case to be made for something before I'll bother with something new that I don't know much about. I ignore most of the stuff posted in the twentyten or twentyeleven thread if it's just an album cover and artist/album name and I'm not already a big fan.

I also like the idea of hearing what people are newly discovering from other years.

I'm afraid this is going to just become another list thread though.

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:06 pm 
Whiskey Tango

I downloaded but haven't listened to that David Lowery yet mainly because I thought the last Cracker album sort of sucked.

As for me, I've sorta been stuck in 2010 mode, finishing mixes and digging on some late in the year finds (Mary Gauthier, Phosphorescent, Silver Seas, Los Lobos) and also just sorta sampling here and there. The two things that have jumped out, made it to my phone, and are starting to get play are Wanda Jackson and Hayes Carll.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:23 pm 
Go Platinum

I'm also digging that Skybombers, catchy basic rock stuff.

I really like the new Wanda Jackson and Dirtbombs records. The Wanda Jackson is about what you'd expect with Jack White in control, the band is great, the song selection quite good, Wanda's in fine voice. Solid, fun album. Great vinyl package as well. The Ditbombs has a real off kilter vibe with a band doing techno songs, with hints of synths but mostly the standard guitars and drums. Fun stuff.

Also liking Teenage Panzerkorps, grimey garagey lo fi rock with a German maniac singer. Probably less mass appeal there.

Mind Spiders is a great catchy garage rock album. If you liked Marked Men last year or two grab it asap.

Yeah, January's been a rock 'n' roll month for me. Will need to branch out as 2011 goes on. I've taken a listen to some other stuff, but none of 'em have really stuck thus far.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:32 pm 
Whiskey Tango

I feel like I need a louder, more muscle-y car when I listen to Wanda Jackson--something with fins, aftermarket chop shop chic everything and no gotdamned catalytic converter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:33 pm 
Natural Harvester

Kingfish Wrote:
Dalen Wrote:

That's not completely it. First, I'm genuinely interested in what you're listening to. That's how I started reading CMJ/Obner to begin with. Second, I've come to know most people's taste here. Between the two, it's more reliable than reading what p'fork or anyone else has to say about it. Reading the year end list probably provided me more sources of music than I gathered in the entire year prior to the lists.

Weren't you the one complaining that Obner was too focused on the past with Contradiction's year posts? Here's your chance to talk about the now. But you're probably right, we should complain when anyone wants to actually talk about music.

i wasn't jumping on you dude, it was a serious question.

i'm down with doing a monthly version of the 2011 thread.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:36 pm 
Go Platinum

If you skipped her last album called Heart Trouble maybe 5 or more years back, you may wanna hear it. The Cramps and others were helping out that time. Not as bombastic as this one, but really solid. I'd struggle to pick which I like better.

Also, on a tangentially related note, I really wish someone would've given Jerry Lee a treatment like this when he made his last couple records instead of just doing the bullshit guest duet routine last couple times out.

But yeah, cranking Wanda on vinyl right now...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:41 pm 
Go Platinum

nobody Wrote:
If you skipped her last album called Heart Trouble maybe 5 or more years back, you may wanna hear it. The Cramps and others were helping out that time. Not as bombastic as this one, but really solid. I'd struggle to pick which I like better.

Also, on a tangentially related note, I really wish someone would've given Jerry Lee a treatment like this when he made his last couple records instead of just doing the bullshit guest duet routine last couple times out.

But yeah, cranking Wanda on vinyl right now...

I ordered it on vinyl but it hasn't arrived.

If Jerry Lee got this treatment, I'd flip. But I'm not sure he's still able to vocally pull off an album like this at this point.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:43 pm 
Go Platinum

I'm all in favor anytime someone who can do it with style wants to embrace one of the living legends and bring it out of 'em one more time.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:46 pm 
Natural Harvester

my personal favs of the year so far...

Ducktails – Ducktails III: Arcade Dynamics (this is my favorite release i've heard so far this year. makes me feel like i'm in a stoned sun drenched haze. real loose and comfortable, a bit lo-fi, and happy vibes.)
http://hotfile.com/dl/95960456/efdb886/ ... s.rar.html

Evan Abeele – Lineage EP (absolutely stunning ambient/modern classical)
http://www.mediafire.com/?i576x58oa8ix26f

Cloud Nothings - Cloud Nothings (fun, pop punk rock, with a reckless feel to it at times.)
http://www.multiupload.com/ZK7Q6HTIT3

Sepalcure - Fleur EP (their attention to detail in these post dubstep tracks is just fantastic. deep, proper sub bass, interesting vocal edits. fans of Burial, Mala, etc. check this out.)
http://rghost.net/4087476

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:48 pm 
Natural Harvester

hey Rads, where did u hear the Beady Eye track?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:50 pm 
Go Platinum

That Sepalcure looks interesting

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:02 pm 
Natural Harvester

nobody Wrote:

here's the title track. trust me though, this youtube doesn't do it justice.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:07 pm 
"Weddings, Parties, Anything…"

Dalen Wrote:
Evan Abeele – Lineage EP (absolutely stunning ambient/modern classical)
http://www.mediafire.com/?i576x58oa8ix26f

That's a pretty decent record.

Konntinent - Arev Benn: Extremely dark cassette release here. It's extremely well crafted--no extraneous noise, no ventures into unneccessary feedback looping, and utilizes a ton of instruments vice relying on samples and synths only. Though the melancholy is nice and was probably the goal, I do think there is something lacking--nothing rattles me on here--which is something I tend to look for on albums of this nature. Overall a good little tape and nice introduction to the guy, but not the best thing I am likely to hear this year.

If anyone has heard the new Bardo Pond would like to know how that is.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:19 pm 
Go Platinum

Dalen Wrote:
nobody Wrote:

here's the title track. trust me though, this youtube doesn't do it justice.

I think I'll just grab the download and give it a listen on the big rig...get the walls rumbling.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:26 pm 
frostingspoon

Kingfish Wrote:
If Jerry Lee got this treatment, I'd flip. But I'm not sure he's still able to vocally pull off an album like this at this point.

Wanda certainly isn't. She's very much the weak link on The Party Ain't Over. I've really tried with it, but she sings like she doesn't even know what day of the week it is. The score here is:

Jack White - 0
Father Time - 1

Dalen Wrote:
hey Rads, where did u hear the Beady Eye track?

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:32 pm 
frostingspoon

i like a lot of things that dalen and rads like, but not enough to fully trust either.
but they were the only year end mixes i downloaded.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:20 pm 
A True Aristocrat of Freedom

I've been listening to Dead shows, Cracker's Countrysides, and Stones Outtakes almost exclusively. It's like it's 1999 and I've never even heard the New York Dolls.

Throughout his life, from childhood until death, he was beset by severe swings of mood. His depressions frequently encouraged, and were exacerbated by, his various vices. His character mixed a superficial Enlightenment sensibility for reason and taste with a genuine and somewhat Romantic love of the sublime and a propensity for occasionally puerile whimsy.
harry Wrote:
I understand that you, of all people, know this crisis and, in your own way, are working to address it. You, the madras-pantsed julip-sipping Southern cracker and me, the oldman hippie California fruit cake are brothers in the struggle to save our country.

FT Wrote:
LooGAR (the straw that stirs the drink)

Profile WWW 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:34 pm 
Death

As far as '11 releases go, I've listened to:

DBT
Jason Isbell
The Decemberists
Destroyer
Iron & Wine
Cold War Kids
Smith Westerns

None of which have left much of an impression on me.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:20 am 
Rape Gaze

only 2011 things i've really listened to so far are the smith westerns and john vanderslice albums.

been catching up on some 2010 stuff. blank dogs, the soft moon, how to dress well, balaclavas, tandoori knights.

Profile WWW 

Board index : Music Talk : Rock/Pop

Go to page 1, 2  Next