Board index : Music Talk : Rock/Pop

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 57  Next
 Post subject: Loogar, Dumpjack and Yail Bloor listen to the Dick's Picks Series
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:24 pm 
A True Aristocrat of Freedom

Dumpjack and I have hatched this scheme and brought Bloor along for the ride.

We're going to try to do daily, but for sanity's sake we might just have to do a couple a week, or whatever.

Not in order, either. We will decide as we go. Tomorrow we go with Volume 9, from Madison Square Garden in 1989

This should truly ruin my entire fall!

Throughout his life, from childhood until death, he was beset by severe swings of mood. His depressions frequently encouraged, and were exacerbated by, his various vices. His character mixed a superficial Enlightenment sensibility for reason and taste with a genuine and somewhat Romantic love of the sublime and a propensity for occasionally puerile whimsy.
harry Wrote:
I understand that you, of all people, know this crisis and, in your own way, are working to address it. You, the madras-pantsed julip-sipping Southern cracker and me, the oldman hippie California fruit cake are brothers in the struggle to save our country.

FT Wrote:
LooGAR (the straw that stirs the drink)

Last edited by Senator LooGAR on Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:35 pm 
Go Platinum

sounds like torture. let me know if you need help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:36 pm 
TEH MACHINE

Also, we'll up the album(s) for anyone interested.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:36 pm 

jsh Wrote:
sounds like torture. let me know if you need help.

Feel free to play along. We'll post what we're playing, and you can add your thoughts if you have it or whatever.

Throughout his life, from childhood until death, he was beset by severe swings of mood. His depressions frequently encouraged, and were exacerbated by, his various vices. His character mixed a superficial Enlightenment sensibility for reason and taste with a genuine and somewhat Romantic love of the sublime and a propensity for occasionally puerile whimsy.
harry Wrote:
I understand that you, of all people, know this crisis and, in your own way, are working to address it. You, the madras-pantsed julip-sipping Southern cracker and me, the oldman hippie California fruit cake are brothers in the struggle to save our country.

FT Wrote:

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:40 pm 
Whiskey Tango

Just for future reference, its good to announce the next one at night instead of in the morning so I can add it to my phone and then have it on the commute.

So thanks for that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:49 pm 

Yail Bloor Wrote:
Just for future reference, its good to announce the next one at night instead of in the morning so I can add it to my phone and then have it on the commute.

So thanks for that.

Just so we're clear, I am not responsible for any wrecks incurred, either intentional or unintentional.

harry Wrote:

FT Wrote:

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:50 pm 
Go Platinum

am i correct in understanding that this will be an ongoing commentary thread on the grateful dead?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:21 pm 
May contain Jesus.

I'm down, and will play along for sure. Posting up albums will be a definite plus.

Baltimore is a town where everyone thinks they’re normal, but they’re totally insane. In New York, they think they’re crazy, but they’re perfectly normal. --John Waters

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:35 pm 
TEH MACHINE

Flying Rabbit Wrote:
I'm down, and will play along for sure. Posting up albums will be a definite plus.

I'll up this one first thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:01 am 
Big in Australia

A quick note on the Dick's Picks series:
The Harpur College Binghamton, NY set from 1970 (Vol. 8) is the best thing I've ever heard from this band. Period.

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:11 am 
frostingspoon

I consider myself a pretty big fan of the dead, but sometimes full shows are a bit too much for me. Drums/Space are for bathroom and beer runs, not for listening to 35 years later.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:19 am 
Big in Australia

jewels santana Wrote:
I consider myself a pretty big fan of the dead, but sometimes full shows are a bit too much for me. Drums/Space are for bathroom and beer runs, not for listening to 35 years later.

That's why there's a "SKIP" button on your CD player.

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:29 am 
Bedroom Demos

DumpJack Wrote:
Flying Rabbit Wrote:

Please send me a link and I'll play along when I can (you can save the bandwidth and cut Space, BTW ;))

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:41 am 

PopTodd Wrote:
jewels santana Wrote:

I'm trying not to do this -- I might zone out, or do work, or even go to the restroom, but I'm going to try to experience these as they are presented.

(And I feel the exact same way as you, but for some reason I am going into this with an open mind.)

harry Wrote:

FT Wrote:

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:55 am 
frostingspoon

Wouldn't it be less painful to stab pencils into your ears and do an ongoing commentary on that?

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:57 am 

Radcliffe Wrote:
Wouldn't it be less painful to stab pencils into your ears and do an ongoing commentary on that?

Senator GAR QAEDA Wrote:

This should truly ruin my entire fall!

harry Wrote:

FT Wrote:

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:07 pm 
frostingspoon

Senator GAR QAEDA Wrote:
PopTodd Wrote:
jewels santana Wrote:

I'm trying not to do this -- I might zone out, or do work, or even go to the restroom, but I'm going to try to experience these as they are presented.

(And I feel the exact same way as you, but for some reason I am going into this with an open mind.)

that's why i mentioned it, because i figured there would be no track skipping during this experiment. Thankfully drums and space tend to just be boring background music rather than grating.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:33 pm 
TEH MACHINE

Dick's Picks Vol. 9

Quote:
Recorded at Madison Square Garden in New York City on September 16, 1990, the three-hour concert captured on this three-CD set marks a milestone for the band in that it is the second Grateful Dead show at which the keyboard chairs were occupied by Vince Welnick and Bruce Hornsby. Less than two months had passed since the death of Brent Mydland, and Welnick had taken over earlier in September; Hornsby joined on piano when the tour hit New York, and this was the show at which the band jelled in its new form. Rather than being tentative, the two new players transform such songs as "Little Red Rooster," "Queen Jane Approximately," "Tennessee Jed," and "Iko Iko" into keyboard showcases and participate in an improvisational "space" interlude that had become an infrequent part of the band's recent performances. This show is not necessarily great Grateful Dead, and as such not of interest to the less devoted fan, but to the band and the Deadheads, it represents the transition to the last, five-year phase of the Dead's career.

Disc 1

Code:
http://www.hidelinks.com/?o51lm98lrk

Disc 2

Code:
http://www.hidelinks.com/?hnk5fs7jg9

Disc 3

Code:
http://www.hidelinks.com/?nrwpbhihk1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:35 pm 
TEH MACHINE

jasn Wrote:
DumpJack Wrote:
Flying Rabbit Wrote:

Please send me a link and I'll play along when I can (you can save the bandwidth and cut Space, BTW ;))

It's all here, Space and all.

I just put on the album myself. I loaded up the ipod to head out for awhile and promptly forgot earphones. Anyway, this is livelier than I remember thus far.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:35 pm 
frostingspoon

Not really sure I want to listen to any Dead past the 70s.

I may ask for an upload if one of these piques my interest. I know GAR is a stubborn mother fucker, but I wonder how long he'll stick this out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:36 pm 
TEH MACHINE

discostu Wrote:

I may ask for an upload if one of these piques my interest. I know GAR is a stubborn mother fucker, but I wonder how long he'll stick this out.

I'll have links up for every set.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:39 pm 

discostu Wrote:

I picked this 1989 show precisely because their huge corporate rock sound is exactly the way to start the whole show off wrong.

harry Wrote:

FT Wrote:

Profile WWW 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:45 pm 
Go Platinum

Senator GAR QAEDA Wrote:
discostu Wrote:

I picked this 1989 show precisely because their huge corporate rock sound is exactly the way to start the whole show off wrong.

Yeah, even Dick warned you:

"This show is not necessarily great Grateful Dead, and as such not of interest to the less devoted fan, but to the band and the Deadheads, it represents the transition to the last, five-year phase of the Dead's career."

Anyway, I like this ambition, because I've been working through it quietly in my car and bedroom on my own anyway. I will now take off 12/16/78 Nashville for #9. Frankly, I'm kind of tired of listening to shows from the 70's, and I know there are gems in the 80's and 90's to discover, and I have a lot to learn yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:49 pm 
Bedroom Demos

Likely a personal "Duh?" moment, but is there a password to DL those sets?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:14 pm 
frostingspoon

jasn Wrote:
Likely a personal "Duh?" moment, but is there a password to DL those sets?

If you've been around a while, then you know it, but since you're new...

jukeboxer

Board index : Music Talk : Rock/Pop

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 57  Next